If it's good enough for Salma....

"I have a farm and I love it there. There's really nothing to do there, but even watching the chickens, it's fun." ~ Salma Hayek

Monday, June 6, 2011

Spoiled Rotten!

We've all heard of hand-feeding animals. And, some farms offer grass fed animals. How about hand feeding grass to your animals? Daily. Hand picking grass. The small, tender shoots with the little tasty white seeds on top. You're probably thinking that's a little over the top right? I know. But, I still do it twice a day for the ladies! They like their grass! Even Little D knows which type of grass to pick and "not to get the dirt, just the grass."
I started picking grass for them a few weeks ago, before the run was finished and putting it in the coop for them. I'm still doing it because it didn't take long for them to turn the ground inside the run into a dirt pit.
I've also been supplementing their diet with raw oatmeal for a few weeks. Just a treat. Something other than the chicken feed. They love that too.  I scatter that around their yard every morning. They will actually fight over little pieces of whole wheat bread. Strangely enough, Meep ran off with a piece of the bread tonight. I didn't know cats would eat bread. Hmm..
I have read that once they start laying, it's good to add extra protein and calcium to their diet by feeding them yogurt. They're not ready to lay yet, but I gave them a few spoonfuls of nonfat plain yogurt today and it was definitely a hit. I was beginning to wonder if there was anything they wouldn't eat - cabbage. My ladies do not like cabbage.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh your little chickies are spoilt! Happy Hens = lots of yummy Eggs. I have to say I have never hand fed my chickens yogurt before but with 5 children in the house you can imagine what goes in my scraps bucket...I'm sure they have enjoyed a bit of everything and there is nothing they don't eat! oh except citrus peel...which is a shame because we have loads of mandarins at the moment and we must be eating about 10 a day.
    Happy Homesteading :)

    ReplyDelete