If it's good enough for Salma....

"I have a farm and I love it there. There's really nothing to do there, but even watching the chickens, it's fun." ~ Salma Hayek

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Can we do it? Yes we CAN!

Going on a berry hunt, gonna find some juicy ones! - Dora the Explorer

Big D and I took the kids berry picking the other day for the first time. We decided we would start with six quarts. Good thing we didn't ask for more boxes since Little D just wanted to eat them right off the vine and SG gets bored so easily. Then, we passed red raspberry bushes on the way out of the berry patch, so we stopped and picked a quart of those too.

Surveying the berry patch

Little D got more berries in his mouth than he did in his box

SG did a good job, but had enough after two quarts

Our six quarts
 So, what to do with all these berries - make jam of course! Fits right in with my "master plan." Remember, the self-sustaining master plan? Since I've never made jam or canned anything in my life, this should prove interesting. I have managed to collect a lot of canning supplies, and I have a stack of canning books and magazines. With all of these things on hand, and my berries, I decide I better get some advice from people I actually know.
The goods

My mom canned everything when I was a kid, and I fondly remember pouring hot was over jars of jam and later using a butter knife to cut the wax off the top of the jam when it was time to eat it. But, all of my books and magazines said I needed to "process" the jam in a canner. Hmm...I started by double-checking my memory with my mom.  I remembered correctly. Cover with wax, no processing.  I also checked with some friends and got a variety of replies, none included using wax. One friend turns her jars upside down to seal them, no wax and no processing.
Being slightly OCD and also having a spoiled food phobia, I decided to go to my most trusted source - the World Wide Web. According to all recent Internet info, wax is definitely out and highly discouraged by the USDA. Apparently the only way to be sure you don't kill off all your loved ones via strawberry jam is to process it for 10 minutes in boiling water. Even though my mom was slightly offended by the USDA's assertion that she had jeopardized her children's lives, I decided to process my jam. It would be good practice for my garden goodies.
I followed the recipe that came with the fruit pectin I bought at the bulk food store. It seemed simple enough, only three ingredients - strawberries, pectin, sugar. What gave me a slight pause was the amount of sugar - 7 cups! Seven cups of sugar to five cups of crushed berries! Not that I ever really thought of jam as a health food, but seriously!
That's a lot of sugar! 7 cups to be exact!
Making jam really isn't hard, but it does take some time to clean the berries.  I would have to say that's the most time-consuming part. By the way, it took three quarts of berries to get five cups of crushed berries.
The tedious part. The cool thing is, the bowl I crushed the berries in was my Grandma's - gives some extra specialness to my jam.
I have to admit I was losing interest in jam making while I was cleaning berries, but when I had my pints of jam lined up on the counter at the end of it all, it was very satisfying. And the pb&j sandwich made with the leftovers in the bottom of the pan was delish!
Mmmmm
Since one batch only made five pint jars of jam, the problem now is deciding who is "jam worthy!"

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever consider using your mixing bowl (the one with seven cups of sugar in it) as a coffee cup instead???.. Jam looks great, bet it is delicious!
    Toni K-B

    ReplyDelete